Life Lessons from My Late Father

On this Father’s Day, I want to pay tribute to the man who taught me the most precious life lessons by the way he lived his own life.

Born in Poland in 1933, my dad was a survivor of the Holocaust; a child during the war, who afforded me all the opportunities he wasn’t able to have.

He was ahead of his time. European born men of that generation typically came with the mindset that education and career were far more important for a man, whereby marriage and taking care of the home and children was the real goal for a woman. He wanted me to have an education, a career, and be able to take care of myself just as much as he wanted that for my brother. Not only did he encourage me to go for a PhD, but he cheered for me every step of the way. Just the fact that I existed was enough to make his eyes light up when I walked into a room.

I tell my clients: your kids are watching your every move. They will do as you do, not as you say. I know that to be true because my dad taught me the most not by his words, but by his example.

My dad was the kindest person I ever met. He was a caretaker; from nursing baby squirrels and birds with broken wings back to health, to taking care of everyone in our family when they needed it most. He never spoke behind a person’s back, he did not judge, he forgave easily, he was able to find the good in anyone, and he was honest to his core. He was calm, optimistic, life-affirming, and his favorite saying during a challenging time was: This too shall pass.

When he passed away, I didn’t know how I would live on earth without him. It took me a while – a long while – to start to live again. What helped me then and what continues to help me when I miss him terribly is that I embody him and try to live my life the exact same way as he did.

I know he would be proud of me as I help my clients and readers navigate life’s challenges and work towards becoming the best versions of themselves, as I help myself do the same.

Today I just feel grateful that he was mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to Look for When Choosing a Therapist

The Ups and Downs of Social Media

How Do You Know it is Time for Therapy?