Life is Short, Let’s Make it Count





We may hear, “Life is short, pay attention to what’s important” all of the time, but do we listen?

In my work on myself and when working with my clients, I am always asking the question: are we living our life in the best way or are we living to avoid fear? Is this why we stay in relationships too long, work too much and let the small stuff get us down?

We must ask ourselves:

Are we making enough time to connect to the people we love the most?
There is nothing more important than the people we cherish. It tops money and all materials. The most joyful people are those that have close connections.

Should we be letting go of people who do not make us feel good?
They do not have to be toxic people in our lives, but focusing on them means we are spending less time on people that bring us joy.

Are we enjoying our lives enough?
Joy for each of us is different. Some people find joy in their work and if you are one of them, you are so fortunate for getting to do something you love for so many hours a week. For others maybe it is traveling, painting, reading, etc. Whatever it is for you, I hope that you are doing it.

Are we having trouble setting boundaries and saying no to people, plans and work assignments because we fear the consequences?

Are we giving more to others than ourselves?
Are we stuck in an old pattern, in work or in love?
If you are, it’s stopping you from getting the things you want. If you notice the same types of things occurring in your life over and over again, I strongly urge to explore it.

These are questions I consider in meditation and most of the time the answers are so clear. But sometimes they are not.

When they are not, I tell myself it is time to move uphill again. I remember that life is made up of seasons. Some are amazing and some are difficult. When we go through hard times and come out on the other side, we typically take stock of what the lesson is and ask ourselves what should we do differently now that we are healed?

I start by making more time for those I cherish most, planning fun activities, working a bit less and setting new boundaries on how I spend my very precious time and energy.

I urge you all to do the same, because life is short. Let’s make it count.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to Look for When Choosing a Therapist

The Ups and Downs of Social Media

How Do You Know it is Time for Therapy?