Too Self-Conscious?



This picture of me from the ‘70s makes me nostalgic for the days when nothing in the world made me self-conscious... not even my ridiculously frizzed-out hair!  What happened to that carefree and happy little girl!?  When and why did I start taking self-care so seriously?  Given that even this past year when I had four surgeries, I barely missed a blowout or a manicure, have I gone too far?

We all grow up and become aware of ourselves in new ways.  Our expectations change both internally and from society.  I believe in grooming and self-care that helps us feel our best.

That said, when does it represent something else that needs to be examined?  For example, are you watching your diet and exercising because you care about health or because you want to be skinny at all costs?  Are you spending your savings at the plastic surgeon’s office, and often thinking about what you’ll “fix” next?

I speak from no high horse here.  Especially as I get older, I struggle as I ask myself: What am I willing to do, and where do I draw the line?  The answer for each of us is so personal, but self-acceptance is essential, which gets harder and harder as the aging process takes hold.

Carving out time to move toward the direction of that happy-go-lucky little girl has been helpful for me.  Once a year, I go to a wellness retreat, where I wear yoga pants for days, don’t blow out my hair, go makeup-free, eat what I want, and do pretty much nothing -- which is no small feat for a Type A New Yorker.  I take stock of where I am inside and out, and catch myself if I’m going overboard in any aspect of my life. It’s heavenly, it’s healing, it’s my haven.

Does any of this resonate with you? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to Look for When Choosing a Therapist

The Ups and Downs of Social Media

How Do You Know it is Time for Therapy?